Saturday, June 6, 2009

Down At The Car Wash

Life lesson with twins: Everything will now take you about 3 times as long to finish.

Deal with it. It's a fact that having twin "helpers" makes everything exponentially more difficult/time consuming/complex... and exponentially more fun as well. For example:

4:00 pm - I decided that today was an excellent day to wash the minivan. When the girls were let out of their room...er, woke up from their nap, I changed them into soakable clothes, gathered the necessary "stuff" to wash the car & headed outside with my 2 ducklings in tow.
4:15 pm - I sprayed down the minivan and filled the bucket with soap & water. The girls were fascinated by my sponge and decided that the old washcloths I had given them to "help" with just wouldn't suffice. Back into the house, dig up 2 old kitchen sponges from under the sink & trek back outside.
4:30 pm - Actually begin to scrub the van in earnest this time as the girls "help" me by washing the other side.
4:35 pm - Console a soaked & crying Caleigh while trying to explain to Alessa that if she's going to spray her sister, then turnabout is fair play & she needs to think about if she wants to get wet. Caleigh edges closer to the hose. :::sigh:::
4:45 pm - Break up a sponge and suds fight. Yes, they were both laughing at the time, but boy does the car wash soap hurt if it gets in your eyes.

5:00 pm - Shriek in dismay as my entire back is soaked by my water loving, hose-wielding Alessa. Convince Alessa to give up the hose because "Mommy has to wash off the soap"...for the dozenth time.

You see, when washing a car on your own, you don't worry about the other side drying because it's usually such a short amount of time or it's just water. Not so with "helpers" - I had to constantly rinse the opposite side of the van to keep their soap from drying. In addition to the added "drying soap" aspect of having twin "helpers", there's also the height aspect. Three and a half year old children seem to see only what is DIRECTLY in front of them. No higher, no lower.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Needless to say, washing the van took me 1 1/2 HOURS.

No comments:

Post a Comment