Saturday, June 20, 2009

Instant Karma

I have dozens of stories about my girls rattling around in my head, so you'll have to forgive me if the story doesn't quite fit into the current time - I know I'm writing about Halloween and it's almost the Fourth of July. However, I go back to my earlier statement that if I don't write some of these memories down, I'm going to lose them. With that being said:

Life lesson: Do unto others as you'd have others do unto you.

Last Halloween a friend & I decided to meet up for a little play day to get the kids together and get the heck out of our respective dens. We thought, "Hey, the play area over at the Roseville Galleria looks fun. Let's go there."


The outing was not quite the relaxing/fun for the little ones/catch up with an old friend time that we thought it would be. The pluses to the play area at Roseville Galleria are these: the entire area is fenced in with a gate that has a high latch; the entire area is padded (the ground has that spongy rubbery mat stuff & EVERY structure is covered in a 6 inch think layer of foam) and lastly, there is a silly kangaroo statue with an upraised hand (~40" – about first grader height) at the entrance with a sign that states "You may play in this area if you are below my hand" or something to the effect & "Parents must supervise their children at all times". Apparently we weren't thinking very well as it was Halloween, late enough in the day where some schools had let out, and the area has quite a few people who need their parental privileges revoked. Do we see where this is going?

The play area was literally SWARMING with about 50 costume-clad, sugar-filled children. First off, let me say many of the children were NOT below the kangaroo's hand. People, I want my children to be happy and have a great time just like every other parent, but what does it teach your child if you disregard clearly posted rules just because you want to. The rule is not "to be mean" to older kids, it's for the SAFETY of the younger ones. Go take your FIFTH grader - yes, FIFTH GRADERS WERE THERE - to the park to run off some energy.

So, my friend & I spent the entire time trying to keep track of our children in the herd and make sure they didn't get hurt. Let me say we were the exception, not the rule, when it came to active parenting. I watched a lady - on a cell phone, mind you - gesture her third grade "little princess" toward the play area and not even slow her step toward the Starbucks. Wow Lady. After watching your little terror interact with the other children, I'll tell you this: you'd better get your face out of your cup before you have a lawsuit or two on your hands. About 15 minutes later, Ms. Starbucks came back out to sit on the benches in the area - cell phone still firmly attached to her ear.

Coincidentally, it was about this time that "Little Princess" decided that Caleigh was in her path and with one sweep of her wand-welding arm this 8 year old knocked my 3 year old face-first to the ground. I gritted my teeth & waited for a moment. Caleigh looked to me to check what her reaction should be so I said "Up, up! Brush yourself off!". Caleigh got up and continued on her way. Ms. Starbucks decided- about 2 minutes after the incident - to put her caller on hold and shout at her terror, "Harmony (I kid you not- ironic isn't it?)! You need to tell that baby you're sorry!" Harmony threw a quick mumble over her shoulder in our general direction from across the play area and Ms. Starbucks gave me a shrug as well as a "kids will be kids" look before going back to her call. I was so angry! Not that her kid knocked mine down, but at her non-parenting. I wanted to yell, "Your utter lack of interest in anything going on around you infuriates me Woman! Besides, your child is WAY TOO BIG TO BE IN HERE ANYWAY!" I didn't, but I quietly hoped that I would never EVER get her child in one of my classes.

Why am I telling you this? To get sympathy for my Caleigh? Heck no! She's fine - she can take it, she's tough! The reason I'm telling you this is because of what occurred at the very next moment. As Harmony turned her head back the way she was going after the "apology" mumbled in Caleigh’s general direction, a fifth grader inadvertently stepped out in front of her - effectively becoming a wall. Harmony landed flat on her pink tutu - unharmed mind you, remember, the whole thing is padded. The fifth grader shrugged and kept going. Harmony sat there for a moment with lip quivering before sweeping over to her mother in a fit of sobs.

As the late John Lennon once mused, “Instant karma’s gonna get you”…

No comments:

Post a Comment